Toggle menu

Licensed Drivers

Apply for or renew a taxi driver licence

If you would like to drive either a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire Vehicle in the Fenland District, you will need to apply to us for a licence.

Fenland District Council driver licences will permit you to drive vehicles licensed by Fenland only. You must be a licensed driver with Fenland to drive vehicles licensed by this authority.

There are options to apply for either one or three year licences, but we would encourage you to apply for a three year licence. However, you should be aware that Medical Reports are needed on first application and then every 5 years from the age of 45 until 65 then annually thereafter, DBS is required on application and then re- checked every 6 months using the online update service which you must subscribe to.

Licensed Driver - New Applicants

Apply to be a licenced Hackney Carriage Driver

Apply to be a licensed Private Hire Driver

Licensed Driver - Renewal Applicants

If you are wishing to renew your FDC driver licence, please ensure you have read our current policy and fully aware of the conditions/requirements. 

Document checklist

Before submitting your renewal application via our online system, please ensure any documents due for re-checking are ready to be uploaded. On the email you received with your renewal details, it will specify if any check types are due at this time. During the renewal process we will automatically carry out a DBS check using the online service with the details you have previously provided.


Renewal Driver - 1 Year


Renewal Driver - 3 Year



How to Apply

Once you are ready to apply, please click on the link below to submit your renewal application and pay the fee. Once you have clicked on this link it will ask you for a reference number which is stated on your renewal application.

Renew a Hackney Carriage drivers licence

Renew a Private Hire drivers licence

Driver medicals

A medical is required periodically throughout the licence depending on age and medical conditions. In line with our policy, this must be completed by a GMC registered doctor. This can include the following:

  • Your own GP
  • A GP at a doctors surgery
  • A private company that uses GMC registered doctors - such as D4Drivers 

Please make sure both forms (certificate & D4) are fully completed and signed. Failure to do this will result in the medical form being refused.

Cambridgeshire LMC have been consulted on the wording of this form. All practitioners should have regard for the DVLA's publication to assist in providing information as per Group 2 standards. See Assessing fitness to drive: guide for medical professionals - GOV.UK (

DVLA Check Code

In order for us to verify your driving licence details using the online system, we need you to provide us with a share code. This code can be obtained from - View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK (

Licence issued

Following validation of your application and satisfactory results of any checks required, we will produce your new driver badge and send this along with the issue letter to your home address. A copy of your paper licence will be emailed to you. Could we please remind you that all expired badges must be returned to us as soon as possible.

You may also need a:

Reporting changes

Please tell us if you've:

Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) - Driver Exemptions

From 28 June, the Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles (Disabled Persons) Act 2022 ("The 2022 Act") will take effect. 

If you are the driver of a designated wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV), you can apply for an exemption certificate on medical grounds or where your physical condition prevents you from performing the mobility assistance duties as Sections 164a and 165 (as added/amended by the 2022 Act).

We recommend that drivers provide evidence to support their application, preferably from an independent medical professional. 

If you do receive an exemption notice, both new or existing when displayed correctly, will exempt a driver only from the mobility assistance duties as Sections 164a and 165. This means, for example, that a driver's medical condition can no longer be used as a justification for charging a disabled person more than a non-disabled person. 

Tax Checks

From 4 April 2022, there will be a small addition to the checks licensing bodies already have in place. You'll need to complete a tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you renew your licence in relation to:

  • Licensed Driver for both Hackney Carriage & Private Hire
  • Private Hire Operator
  • Licensed Vehicles for both Hackney Carriage & Private Hire
  • Deal in scrap metal

Changes will only apply in England and Wales. View more information about Tax Check changes.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email