Private Hire vehicles
Apply for a Private Hire vehicle licence
A Private hire vehicle:
- Can only be booked in advance through their licensed Private Hire Operator
- Cannot call themselves 'taxis' or 'cabs'
- Cannot ply for hire or wait on Taxi ranks
- Do not have a roof sign
- Do not have a meter fitted. The hirer and operator must agree a price before pick-up
Before you apply, please ensure you have these documents saved and ready to upload during the online process:
- Insurance Certificate / Cover Note / Fleet Cover Certificate
- V5 Document / New Keeper Slip / Bill of Sale
We will check your vehicles' MOT details online. Your MOT Certificate must be dated less than 30 days at the time you submit your application.
FDC Vehicle inspection test
Once you have submitted your application and it has been validated, you will be contacted to arrange your FDC Compliance inspection.
When you bring your vehicle to the test, please ensure:
- It has the appropriate door signage on
- Fitted wheel covers are removed. We need to check the wheels and number of wheel nuts
If your vehicle needs retesting following failure of the compliance inspection, the re-test fee is £40.60.
|Transfer of Vehicle Plate to another vehicle||£47|
|Replacement Vehicle Plate (damaged or stolen)||£47|
How to Apply
Once you are ready to apply, please click on the relevant link below to submit your new application and pay the fee.
The fee for your new application will also include the FDC Compliance inspection. There is an additional charge of £47 for New licensed vehicles requiring plate and bracket.
Following validation of your application and satisfactory results of any checks, we will produce your new vehicle plate and send this along with the issue letter to your home address. A copy of your paper licence will be emailed to you. All expired plates must be returned to us as soon as possible.