Private Hire vehicles

Information about Private Hire Vehicle licensing

Private Hire vehicles:

  • Can only be booked in advance through their licensed Private Hire Operator
  • Cannot call themselves 'taxis' or 'cabs'
  • Cannot ply for hire or wait on Taxi ranks
  • Do not have a roof sign
  • Do not have a meter fitted. The hirer and operator must agree a price before pick-up.

They must follow these rules at all times.

Apply for a new vehicle

When you have all your documents completed and are ready to apply, contact our customer services team to book an appointment. You can do this by:

  • emailing
  • calling 01354 654321 (Contact Centre) or 01354 602858 (Wisbech Reception)

Once you have your appointment date, time and location confirmed, please bring all of the below documents to the Customer Service Centre:

We cannot accept incomplete applications. Please bring all documents and fees at the same time.

Documents must be originals or certified copies. We will photocopy them and return them to you.

We will check your vehicles' MOT details online.  Your MOT Certificate must be dated less than one month old at the time you submit your inspection.

During your appointment with the advisor, they will arrange to have your vehicle inspected by our Fenland District Council Garage. This must be at least 2 working days after you have submitted your application. The inspection will take place at our Melbourne Avenue Depot. 


  • Private Hire Vehicle New Application - £132.00
  • New Vehicle Plate and Bracket - £45.00
  • Vehicle Inspection Test - £62.00

Vehicle inspection test

When you bring your vehicle to the test, please make sure:

  • it has appropriate door signage
  • fitted wheel covers are removed. We need to check the wheels and number of wheel nuts

You must give at least 48 hours' notice if you cannot attend your appointment. If you don't, you'll need to pay a £40.00 cancellation fee.

If your vehicle needs retesting because it fails its inspection, the re-test fee is £40,00

Getting your licence

You'll get your paper licence and vehicle plate after your vehicle passes its inspection. The officer will produce this after your inspection takes place at Melbourne Avenue, March. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page