Severe weather can come in many forms - rain, wind, snow, fog, severe cold or heatwave.
You can sign up for weather warnings through the Met Office.
In the event of severe weather:
- If possible store some basic supplies
- Keep pets indoors (bring outdoor pets in)
- Close doors and windows and close curtains to protect against broken windows
- Secure outdoor belongings such as bikes, bins, garden furniture etc., or if possible bring them indoors
- If the gas, water or electric stop working let the relevant service know - know who your suppliers are and have their contact numbers and your account numbers in a handy place
- Warn vulnerable people in your community. Help them prepare.
Specific advice on coping with cold weather, strong winds and heatwaves are in this section.