Toggle menu

Council partners with new HIA to enhance support for vulnerable residents

Fenland District Council has partnered with a new home improvement agency to boost services aimed at helping residents continue to live safely and independently in their homes.

Image of a woman sat on a stair-lift in her home

Under the new contract, effective from 1 April 2024 and spanning three years, East Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency (East Cambs HIA) will help people across Fenland to adapt, repair and maintain their homes to meet their changing needs.

East Cambs HIA, a not-for-profit organisation funded and supported by local and central government, can assist people who are elderly, disabled and vulnerable, or who are on a low income, by organising building related works to their homes.

Adaptations to homes can include, but are not limited to, the installation of level access showers, stair-lifts, ramps and hoists, and extensions to provide sleeping, showering, bathing and toilet facilities.

Agency staff work with occupational therapists, draw up plans, arrange planning applications, obtain contractors' quotations and inspect building work. They also work with people to help them apply for Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) to fund home adaptations or apply for a Minor Works Grant for repairs.

Councillor Samantha Hoy, Portfolio Holder for Housing at Fenland District Council, said: "We are delighted to join forces with East Cambs HIA to further improve access to vital home improvement services in Fenland. This collaboration underscores our commitment to supporting vulnerable residents and ensuring they have the necessary resources to live comfortably, safely and securely in their own homes.

"As well as supporting healthy and independent living, home improvement services can help to prevent hospital and care home admission and can facilitate patients being discharged from hospital, including making it easier for carers to provide support."

East Cambs HIA can provide advice, support and assistance to people who own and live in their own property, or those in privately rented or housing association accommodation.

Home improvement agency services in Fenland were previously provided by Kings Lynn and West Norfolk Care and Repair.

Check if you're eligible

To check if you're eligible for the East Cambs HIA service, you will need to be assessed by an occupational therapist, approved by Cambridgeshire County Council Social Services. Your needs will be assessed, and if appropriate, you will be referred to East Cambs HIA.

To arrange an assessment with an occupational therapist, use the online contact form at: Occupational therapy for adults and older people - Cambridgeshire County Council or call 0345 045 5202.

For more information, visit our Disabled Facilities Grant webpage or contact the council on 01354 654321.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email