Health and Safety
We carry out health and safety inspections in specific work sector businesses
Inspections can take place without prior warning. We visit 'high-risk' premises more often.
During an inspection, we check that:
- health, safety and welfare hazards are identified
- risks in the workplace are adequately controlled
- managers and employees have had adequate health and safety training
- it is understood why health and safety risk assessments are needed
A risk assessment looks at what could cause harm to people at work. It helps you to consider if you have taken enough precautions, or should do more, to prevent harm. View risk assessment advice from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
Accidents at work
Employers, and the self employed, must report serious work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the Health and Safety Executive. This is called a 'RIDDOR' report.
Health and Safety Advice
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has details about local Health and Safety courses.
Working through our Health and Safety workbook can help you to meet legal requirements. It includes:
- legislation information
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance notes
- approved Codes of Practice
- templates you can use to manage your work activities