Toggle menu

ECO Flexible Eligibility Scheme

Energy Company Obligation (ECO4 Flex) 

Free energy efficiency measures for eligible households. 

What is ECO4 Flex? 

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme. It aims to reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty free of charge, by improving the energy efficiency of homes occupied by residents on low incomes who are vulnerable to the cold, and/or live in homes that are hard to heat. ECO is funded by large private energy suppliers and delivered by private PAS2030/2035 installers who are TrustMark accredited. 

ECO Flex is the route through which local authorities can verify the eligibility of households under the criteria set out below. We are not involved or responsible for issuing the funding, appointing contractors or installing the works. 

What improvements could I qualify for?  

Your chosen installer(s) will carry out a survey and identify improvements suitable for your property.

If eligible, you could qualify for any of the improvements listed below. This is not a full list of measures; other improvements might also be available depending on the installer.

  • Insulation (e.g. loft, pitched roof, flat roof, room in roof, cavity wall, external wall, internal wall, floor 
  • Low carbon heaters (e.g. Air source heat pumps, Ground source heat pumps, energy efficient boilers, heating controls, electric storage heaters) 
  • Solar PV panels  
  • High performance external doors 
  • Window glazing  
  • Draught proofing  

Am I eligible? 

ECO Funding is only available for private owner occupiers and private rented tenants whose energy performance rating is a D, E, F or G. You can check your rating on the government website

If you receive one or more of the following benefits, you can apply directly through an energy supplier.  

  • Child Benefit 
  • Pension Guarantee Credit 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) 
  • Income Support  
  • Tax Credits (Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits) 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Housing Benefit  
  • Pension Credit Saving Credit 

Households are also eligible under additional criteria. These are set out in Fenland District Council's Statement of Intent.

We must verify these 'ECO FLEX' applications through evidence provided by the householder that they meet the specified criteria. Fenland District Council will then provide verification that the household is eligibility in the form of a written declaration to the private installation company before work commences. 

If you are looking for free and impartial general home energy advice residents can also contact Cambridgeshire Home Energy Support Service

How do I find an installer?  

You are responsible for choosing an installer and carrying out checks to ensure you are satisfied with the installation company. Your chosen installer must be TrustMark registered.

You can find a registered installer on the TrustMark website

The installer working on behalf of the energy supplier will decide what level of support and type of improvements you could receive.

We recommend you request to see their company ID and their name and contact details when they visit your property. This will help you to check on the status of your application after they leave. We will not have access to this information. 

What else will I need to check?  

It is your responsibility to carry out the following checks:

  • Do you need planning permission or building regulations approval: Certain types of insulation such as external wall insulation and Solar PV might need approval and as a homeowner/landlord it will be your responsibility to apply for this.
  • Find out if the installer is a member of a competent person scheme related to electrics or insulation work, like the MCS, NICEIC, CIGA, or Stroma schemes. If they are then they will be able to self-certify their work, rather than needing to get building regulations approval from your local council.
  • Make sure they are Gas Safe registered. By law, all engineers installing gas boilers must be on the Gas Safe Register.
  • Check if they provide any guarantees or warranties on the installation and make sure you are provided with these and any other associated paperwork upon completion of an installation.

What if I am not happy with the installation? 

Initial complaints about the installation should firstly be made to the company who installed the measure, but if problems persist you should contact Citizens Advice Consumer Services for free impartial advice. 

Who administers ECO?

Ofgem administers the scheme on behalf of the Government Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (ESNZ). Ofgem's duties include allocating targets to obligated suppliers, monitoring supplier progress and deciding whether they have achieved their obligations, reporting the Secretary of State, auditing, ensuring compliance and preventing and detecting fraud, BEIS sets the overall policy for the ECO scheme.

The ECO4 Flex Process

Fenland District Council does not oversee ECO, endorse any installation companies or require further vetting of installation or lead generation companies. 

Step 1:  Householders can choose any TrustMark registered installer. A chosen installer will ask initial questions to confirm the likelihood of qualification and then arrange a home visit.

Step 2: The home visit is conducted by the installer or their representative. If the property is suitable for upgrades an application form is fully completed and signed by the householder. Evidence supporting the application is gathered together, as outlined in the application form.

Step 3: The application form and evidence (PDF's/ photos taken on mobile phone or tablet) are submitted by the installer/ lead generator to Fenland District Council. The evidence is returned to the applicant by the installer. The householder is supplied with the installer's contact details should they wish to enquire about their application status at a later date. (Fenland District Council cannot provide updates on applications) 

Step 4: Fenland District Council assess the application and eligibility evidence. If the applicant qualifies, a completed Local Authority Declaration is signed and returned to the installer. 

Step 5: The installation company carry out the installation(s): leaving the resident with contact details and any warranties/ guarantees as required. 

Step 6: If the householder is not satisfied with an installation they should contact the installation company in the first instance and if issues are not resolved should seek advice from Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline. (Fenland District Council cannot assist in complaint resolutions regarding ECO funded installations).

Information for Installers

Please contact to register your interest. We will then send you an application form and Data Sharing Agreement to complete prior to taking any requests for declarations to be signed. 

Statement of Intent

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email