National Grid launches consultation on plans for new power line running through Fenland
Fenland District Council wants to make residents aware of a new consultation launched by National Grid on its plans for a new overhead power line and pylons that pass through the Fens, and substation on the district boundary.
National Grid is inviting communities in Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, and West Norfolk to share their views on proposals for a 140km long, high voltage electricity line from Grimsby to Walpole.
The line would run west to east through Fenland, between Tydd St Giles and Newton-in-the-Isle. A new substation is also proposed outside of Fenland District Council's area but near to the boundary, to the east of Newton-in-the-Ise, North of West Walton.
Due to the scale of the proposals, the application will be decided by the government's Secretary of State responsible for energy rather than Fenland District Council as the local planning authority.
The Council is now considering the proposals and will decide what formal response to make in due course.
Share your views
Residents can find out more about the proposed project, read the consultation documents and share their views via the National Grid website.
The first phase consultation runs until 13 March 2024.
National Grid is holding a series of public information events throughout the consultation, including:
- Wednesday, 31 January 2024, 2pm to 7pm - Tydd St Giles Community Centre, Broad Drove East, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, PE13 5LN
- Tuesday, 20 February 2024, 2pm to 7pm - Walpole Community Centre, Summer Close, Walpole St Andrew, Wisbech, PE14 7JW.
There are also a series of online webinars, including:
- General introduction to the project proposals - Tuesday, 23 January 2024 at 2pm.
- Proposals specific to the Fenland area - Tuesday, 5 March 2024 at 7pm.
To book a place on a webinar, contact National Grid on 0800 0129 153 (phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper copies of the consultation materials and feedback questionnaire are also available to collect from the following local information point:
- Wisbech Library, Ely Place, Wisbech, PE13 1EU (check the Cambridgeshire County Council website for opening hours).