More free and low-cost fitness sessions launched in Fenland
Lots of new free and low-cost fitness sessions have been added to the list of opportunities for the people of Fenland, including those who are thinking of becoming more active.
The sessions are the latest offerings from Fenland District Council's Active Fenland team, which promotes and provides informal, fun, sport, and physical activity, to help communities to get more active, more often, and to lead healthier lifestyles.
New sessions include:
Wellbeing Walk in Whittlesey
A new Whittlesey Wellbeing Walk has been launched, starting at the Buttercross, in Market Place, at midday on the third Monday of every month.
Signing up is advisable but optional, via: Sign up for Ramblers wellbeing walk. Or turn up on the day.
Wellbeing Walk in Wisbech
A second Wellbeing Walk in Wisbech is being launched on Thursday, April 27.
It will be held every Thursday at 2pm, meeting at the green next to St Peter & St Paul Parish Church (opposite the Wheatsheaf), Church Terrace, PE13 1BL, see: Wisbech Thursday Wellbeing Walk
Healthy weight sessions, Wisbech and March
Free 12-week healthy-weight courses for people aged 18 and over who consider themselves overweight or do less than 30 minutes exercise per week.
- Tuesday, April 25, free Novice Netball, 6.30pm to 7.30pm, Wisbech Grammar, Chapel Road, Wisbech, PE13 1RH. Booking essential via the online Active Fenland Booking Form.
- Thursday, April 27,free First Step Fitness beginner's circuits, taster session - 7pm to 8pm, George Campbell Leisure Centre, City Road, March, PE15 9LT. via the Active Fenland Booking Form
Barre & Breath, March
A combination of Pilates and Yoga. Classes help with posture and mobility, without any high-impact movements.
Tuesday, April 18, to Tuesday, June 6, at March Physiotherapy Centre, Marwick House, Station Road, March, PE15 8XA, £3 a session. Two classes available:
- 6.30pm - Gently Does It - for those with reduced mobility or new to exercise. Booking is essential via: Active Fenland Booking Form
- 7.30pm - Go With The Flow - for general fitness level or those who know a little more about ballet moves and yoga poses. Booking is essential via: Active Fenland Booking Form
Walk leader training course
Free training session for anyone who is keen to volunteer as a Wellbeing Walk leader.
Friday, 26 May, at Whittlesey Library, 9.30am to 4pm (latest). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Free lunch provided.
Also from Active Fenland
Wellbeing Walks, in March and Wisbech
Active Fenland coordinates wellbeing walks in multiple locations and is working to recruit and train additional volunteer walk leaders to enable more.
- Tuesdays, 1.30pm, meet at March Library, City Road, March, PE15 9LT, see: March Riverside Wellbeing Walk
- Fridays, 10am, meet at the Bandstand on Wisbech Park, Lynn Road, Wisbech, PE13 3DL, see: Wisbech Mindful Wellbeing Walk
A full timetable of free and low-cost Active Fenland activity and exercise sessions is available at: Active Fenland
- All ability badminton
- All ability yoga
- Strength and balance for people concerned about falling
- Walking football
- Free Forever Fit sessions - try lots of different activities in a social group.
- Pre-fit - to build more strength, balance and flexibility to improve overall mobility later in life
- Table tennis.