Revamped March Market Place to reopen
The first in a string of multi-million pound projects to transform and futureproof March town centre is due for completion next week.
Update: 29.03.23: Colder than anticipated overnight weather and rainfall has delayed the completion of the Market Place. We are hopeful the work will be complete next week.
Update 24.03.23: Due to adverse overnight weather conditions this week, the laying of tarmac has been delayed. Market Place is now due for completion on Wednesday 29 March, with the first market back on Saturday 1 April.
Works to enhance March Market Place have progressed well and are expected to complete on time by Friday 24 March.
The Market Place is due to re-open to the public on Monday 27 March, with market traders returning for their first market back on Wednesday 29 March.
The £440,000 Market Place regeneration is part of the £8.4million March Future High Streets Fund (MFHSF) investment, funded with £6.4million from the Government's Future High Streets Fund and £2million from the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.
The funding has improved the appearance and car park layout and introduced new and improved facilities, enhancing its position as a key community space in the heart of the town.
All programmed works have been completed including:
- New sandstone paving, including levelling of paved surfaces
- Re-lining and re-tarmacking of the car park
- Installation of new disabled parking bays
- Installation of EV infrastructure for future Electric Vehicle charging points
- New traffic control bollards for use on market days
- Upgrades to underground drainage system
- Replacement and refurbishment of public street furniture and lampposts
Meanwhile, the essential work by Cadent to upgrade gas pipes in Broad Street is ongoing and also progressing well.
- For more information on March town centre transformation see: March Future High Streets and Multi-million pound transformation of March town centre is under way - Fenland District Council.