Skip Navigation

High Hedges

Guidance for high hedges disputes.

High Hedges

Fenland District Council cannot help with high hedge disputes unless individuals have already gone through the steps in government guidance ("Over the Garden Hedge"), without success.

If you have tried to resolve the issue with the neighbour and all attempts at mediation have failed, you can contact us for an initial site visit. Please outline the nature of the issue, methods of current resolutions to mediate and the address to

If you wish the Council to investigate this matter further, you will need to pay a fee of £450. This is to cover the cost of an assessment to be carried out by a specialist officer who will determine the height and the impact. 

The role of the Council is not to mediate or negotiate between the person who is complaining and the hedge owner. It is to decide whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's 'reasonable enjoyment' of their property. The Council must take into account all relevant factors and must strike a balance between the interests of the complainant, the hedge owner and the wider community.

If the Council judges the hedge to be a problem, they can issue a formal notice to the hedge owner which will explain what they must do to remedy the problem, and when by. Failure to carry out these required works can lead to prosecution, and a fine of up to £1000.