Engineer - closing date 01.12.2023
Engineer - Permanent - Hybrid working
Full time - 37 hours per week
Salary range £33,945 to £38,223 plus Essential Car User Allowance
Are you looking for a new challenge working for a District Council with engineering professionals?
Do you want to contribute to making the streetscene and public sector assets such as car parks, streetlighting and amenity areas better for Fenland residents, visitors, and facility users? If the answer is yes, then this could be a great opportunity to join a small team of engineering professionals to deliver both programmed engineering schemes, asset improvement and maintenance works. We will offer training, hybrid working and a whole range of employee benefits.
The role will assist the Principal Engineer and will be supported by the Asset Officer to ensure the Councils capital programmed engineering work schemes are delivered. This will include the development, design, procurement and delivery of various asset improvement, repair or replacement works.
In addition, the engineering team are responsible for a variety of highway related assets such as streetlights, street furniture and associated engineering infrastructure to include car parks, awarded watercourses and sewage treatment work sites and pumping stations. The post holder will play an instrumental part in the operational management and maintenance of these assets, providing better facilities for Fenland residents. In addition, the engineering team provide technical advice and maintenance or operational support services for a range of other council service areas to include Port Marine, Markets and Events, Property and Leisure.
The Council will provide training where required but it is essential that the post holder is flexible in embracing a varied workload, is self-motivated, great at prioritising and brings the right blend of skills and experience. Ideally the applicant should be someone with a highway engineering background. Experience of working within local government or a public sector organisation would also be advantageous.
- Have an HNC/HND or higher qualification in Civil Engineering and have or be working towards 5 years relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of current highway related design standards and legislation relating to highway construction, drainage, signing and lining.
- Proficient in the use of 2D AutoCAD.
- Ability to undertake highway related design works and prepare contract documentation, specifications, cost estimates and bills of quantities for tender work packages.
- Working knowledge of associated health and safety requirements such as 2015 CDM Regulations and designer risk assessments.
- Be self-motivated and able to multi-task, prioritise and manage a varying workload.
- The ability to take ownership and be able to work independently and as part of the team.
- Have excellent communication skills and can adapt to the needs of your audience.
- Ability to travel to various locations within the district.
- A strong customer service ethos.
- Good administrative and Microsoft 365 skills.
- Desired understanding of asset management systems.
The council operates a generous flexi-time scheme and benefits including hybrid working, a car user allowance, free staff car parking, discounted access to leisure facilities and the payment of professional fees.
- Competitive pay
- Generous holiday allowance
- Excellent defined benefits pension scheme
- Employee well-being and family friendly policies
- Comprehensive Employee Benefits Scheme (including an Employee Assistance Programme and retail discount schemes)
- Car lease scheme
- Continuous professional development
- Hybrid working, with opportunities to work from home, Fenland Hall in March, and satellite offices in Chatteris and Wisbech.
If you are interested in this post and would like to apply, please complete an application form (please read the guidance notes) and send to the Human Resources team, preferably by email to Recruitment@fenland.gov.uk or post to the HR Team, at Fenland District Council, Room 48, Fenland Hall, County Road, March, PE15 8NQ.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Garry Edwards - Engineering Manager on 07951 378276, or Kevin Gove - Principal Engineer on 07903 651661.
The closing date for applications is 4.30pm on 1st December 2023.
Interviews will be held on week commencing Monday 11th December 2023.