Market traders to return to revamped Market Place this weekend
March market traders will return to the revamped Market Place on Saturday 8 April after refurbishment works were completed this week.
The 12-week project, which started on 9 January, completed on time despite final resurfacing works being delayed by wet weather and cold overnight conditions.
The car park reopened on Tuesday 4 April, with market traders returning for their first market back on Saturday 8 April. The Wednesday and Saturday markets have been temporarily held in City Road car park while the work has taken place.
City Road car park will be reopened back to full capacity from early next week following the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.
All programmed refurbishment works have been completed including:
- New sandstone and cobbled paving, including levelling and widening of paved surfaces adjacent to the Town Hall to offer an enhanced public realm space.
- Re-lining and re-tarmacking of the car park.
- Significant upgrade to underground drainage systems.
- Improved car park layout with wider bays to accommodate more modern, larger vehicles.
- Installation of underground EV infrastructure for future Electric Vehicle charging points, reducing the need for future works.
- New traffic control bollards for use on market days.
- Installation of new, high quality public street furniture including benches.
The Market Place's existing three disabled bays have been retained but moved to the western side of the Market Place, and the car parking spaces have been reduced to 23 spaces to accommodate larger vehicles and reduce the risk of collisions.
The refurbishment and repainting of existing street furniture, including bollards, signs and banner arms, is due to be carried out shortly.