New wellbeing walk launched in Whittlesey as call is made for volunteer leaders
A new free wellbeing walk has been launched in Whittlesey - and a further call has been made for volunteers to lead walks in the district.
Special guided walks following the recently launched Whittlesey Heritage Walk are also happening next month (April), including an Easter holidays family-friendly event that can be enhanced with the Love Exploring App.
Regular Whittlesey wellbeing walk
The free Whittlesey wellbeing walk starts at the Buttercross, in Market Place, at midday on the third Monday of every month.
It'll take around 45 minutes to an hour depending on the pace of those who take part.
There will be an optional grass/field section in good weather, although walkers can choose to continue on paths.
The walk includes uneven paved areas and paths next to the river.
The walks have been launched by Active Fenland as part of the Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Cambridgeshire and Peterborough scheme.
Free training sessions for volunteer walk leaders
The hunt is on for someone who is keen to volunteer as a walk leader to run the Whittlesey walk and allow it to happen more regularly. Free training is provided.
Volunteers are also being sought to run walks in other parts of Fenland.
Dates have been set for free training sessions for volunteer walk leaders, including free lunch and practice walks around the towns, 9.30am to 4pm (latest) at:
- Chatteris Library, Friday, March 24 (places must be booked in advance)
- Whittlesey Library, Friday, May 26
Places for volunteer walk leader training sessions must be booked in advance via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call 07874 893316 or 07592 774656 - please leave a message with a name and contact telephone number.
Guided Whittlesey Heritage Walk and family-friendly event
Special guided walks of the Whittlesey Heritage Walk shorter 1.3km / 40 minute route are to be held next month (April).
Whittlesey Heritage Walk launched in October to encourage people to enjoy the history of the town.
Walks begin at the Buttercross, in Market Place.
A family-friendly guided walk of the route using special features on the Love Exploring App will be held on Wednesday, April 12, beginning at 10am.
The Monday, April 17, Whittlesey Wellbeing Walk will follow the route of the heritage walk instead of its usual route.
The Heritage Walk is available for people to complete independently year-round by:
- following the information boards at various points along the routes, starting in Market Place.
- downloading the Whittlesey Heritage Walk brochure (PDF) [6MB] . Copies of the brochure are also available from the Whittlesey Town Council offices in Queen Street (check their website for opening hours)
- with the Love Exploring app. The app, which is free to download, uses an interactive map to guide explorers round the walk and provides interesting insights into the town's hidden histories.
Fenland wellbeing walks
Wellbeing walks currently take place in
- March Riverside Wellbeing Walk, weekly, Tuesdays, 1.30pm from outside March Library, City Road.
- Whittlesey Wellbeing Walk, monthly, third Monday of every month, midday, from the Buttercross, Market Place. First event takes place on Monday, March 20.
- Wisbech Wellbeing Walk, weekly, Fridays, 10am from the bandstand in Wisbech Park, Lynn Road.
Anyone interested in attending is encouraged to sign up online with Ramblers in advance, but this is optional. Sign up via: https://beta.ramblers.org.uk/wellbeing-walks-sign-up
For further details of walks or to register an interest in becoming a volunteer walk leader contact email@example.com
Wellbeing Walks is a nationwide initiative managed by Ramblers UK and coordinated locally across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.