Spring into action to keep Fenland clean!
Spring is coming, and with it is the nation's biggest mass-action environmental campaign! And Fenland's army of litter heroes will once again be doing their bit to contribute.
Back for its eighth year, Keep Britain Tidy's national Great British Spring Clean is being held from Friday 17 March to Sunday 2 April, to help improve the environment on our doorstep.
The annual event is supported by Fenland District Council and several of its volunteer Street Pride groups, who will be holding Great British Spring Clean litter picks across the district.
Residents can get involved by joining one of the Street Pride litter picks or by organising their own litter picking events. The Council can provide free litter pickers, equipment and bags to anyone holding their own event and will arrange for bagged rubbish to be collected.
Keep Britain Tidy's Great British Clean 2023
Cllr Peter Murphy, Fenland District Council's Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: "Litter remains a big problem across the country. Not only is it unsightly, but it devalues the local area, pollutes the environment, causes harm to residents and wildlife and is expensive to remove, which ultimately costs taxpayers' money.
"Our Street Pride volunteers do an absolutely fantastic job helping to ensure the spaces and places we love aren't spoiled by litter. Our hardworking street cleansing teams cannot be everywhere at once so the role volunteers play in keeping Fenland clean is vital.
"I encourage all residents to take part and enjoy the Great British Spring Clean campaign - it's such a great way to teach the younger generation how to care for the environment."
Join a community litter pick:
- Saturday 18 March - Leverington Street Pride AGM and litter pick. Meet at Leverington Church at 10am (Litter pick will be held after the AGM).
- Saturday 25 March - Murrow Street Pride litter pick. Meet at the Village Hall car park at 10am.
- Sunday 26 March - Parson Drove Street Pride litter pick. Meet at The Cage at 12pm.
- Tuesday 28 March - March Street Pride litter pick. Meet at the George Campbell Leisure Centre at 10am.
- Saturday 1 April - Whittlesey Street Pride litter pick. Meet at the Ivy Leaf car park at 10am.
- Saturday 1 April - Wimblington Street Pride. Meet at the Parish Hall, Addison Road, at 10am.
Anyone wanting to join one of the Street Pride events is welcome to turn up on the day - equipment will be provided.
Alternatively, contact the Council's Street Pride co-ordinator Rebecca Robinett on 01354 654321 or email email@example.com to be put in touch with the organisers.
Plan your own litter pick
Anyone wanting to organise their own litter pick should first register their event with Keep Britain Tidy (This enables them to keep track of all the good work going on across the country!)
Once you have registered, you can contact Rebecca on the details above to borrow litter picking equipment. Remember to share your photographs and stories of your event with us.
Tag us in your social media posts @FenlandCouncil and use the hashtag #GBSpringClean. Alternatively, you can email your photos to the Street Pride team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information on Street Pride visit our Street Pride webpage.
Article date: February 2023