Council sets out energy advice and Covid support available over winter months

As gas prices rise and the colder months fast approach, Fenland District Council has set out the help available to residents who are concerned about a hike in fuel bills this winter.


The Council said support is available to anyone facing significant increases in their energy bills, particularly those who are already struggling financially with the end of Covid support packages, such as furlough and the Universal Credit uplift.

The support includes a free 'Warm Homes' household energy advice service and the continuation of the Council's Covid-19 Community Hub, which has helped support vulnerable people throughout the pandemic.

The Council has teamed up energy advice organisation PECT (Peterborough Environment City Trust) to provide the free energy advice service, helping residents to make their homes warmer, more energy efficient and cheaper to run.

By booking a 'Warm Homes' advice call, residents can get:

  • A free and impartial energy advice call
  • Help and advice about energy suppliers and tariffs
  • Information and help to apply for the national £140 Warm Home Discount
  • Details about the Green Homes Grant Scheme, offered by Fenland District Council and delivered by E.ON Energy. Under the scheme, eligible households can apply for a voucher towards the cost of energy efficiency improvements, including insulation, heating controls, solar panels and much more
  • Free, small energy saving measures such as energy saving lightbulbs and water saving shower heads

Call 01733 568408 extension 313 or 0800 802 1773 for more information and advice. Alternatively, email  or use the online referral form at

The Council is also continuing to provide a wide range of specialist advice and support through its Covid-19 Community Hub, which first launched in March last year.

It can help support anyone who may be struggling to feed their families or heat their home as a direct result of the pandemic and can provide access to Cambridgeshire County Council's new Household Support Fund, which provides funding to eligible families for food, energy and water and linked essentials such as clothing, soap and blankets, other essentials such as broadband or phone bills and transport-related costs.

And in addition to providing day-to-day support for anyone self-isolating, such as access to food and prescription collections, the Hub can also refer residents directly to the Council's dedicated Citizen's Advice Rural Cambs advisor.

The advisor can provide free, impartial, and independent financial advice to help with a number of concerns including debts, benefits, Universal Credit claims, access to funding, pensions, employment matters and much, much more.

Call the Hub on 01354 654321 or email:

Cllr Chris Boden, Leader of Fenland District Council, said: "It has been an incredibly tough 18 months for our residents, and we understand the pressures that rising fuel prices and the end of furlough and the Universal Credit uplift will have on our community.

"Many residents are worried about the cost of keeping their homes warm this winter and buying food and other essentials, but we want to reassure local people that we, and our partners, will continue to provide support wherever we can. Whether that's providing free home energy advice, identifying households which are eligible for energy efficiency measures, or referring people for free, independent financial advice, there is a significant amount of local support available."

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page