Skip Navigation
Navigation Menu

Waste Oil Burner permits

If you are operating a Waste Oil Burner, you need to have an Environmental Permit.

Waste Oil Burner

By law, it is illegal to burn waste oil in an appliance without a permit. This is under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.

If you are burning waste oil (including recovered oil) in an appliance with a rated thermal input of less than 3 Megawatts, you must have been awarded an Environmental Permit from the council and comply with its conditions. This is because small waste oil burners can create pollutants including metals, sulphur dioxide and hydrogen chloride. Larger waste oil burners of 3 Megawatts or more will need permission from the Environmental Agency.

Applying for a permit

Only a person who has control over the operation of a regulated facility (the "operator") may apply or hold an Environmental Permit. A permit application may be made by an agent on behalf of the operator. Please download the application form on this page.

You must have been awarded a permit before you operate a small waste oil burner. Please bear in mind it can take up to 3 months to process an application for a permit, so allow plenty of time. You may also need to contact our Planning Team, as planning permission may be needed to erect the flue to service the burner. We recommend that you have pre-application discussions to make sure your permit application has all the information it needs.

Fees are required for the application for a permit, annual subsistence of the permit and transfers of the permit. These are reviewed annually.

We will acknowledge your application within 10 working days and will let you know if it has been granted.

If you are making a new installation or changing an existing one, you must apply for a variation to the permit before it can operate.

More information can be found on the DEFRA website. Alternatively, please contact us at or call 01354 654321.