Skip Navigation

Disabled facilities grants

Help with living independently for as long as possible

If you are a homeowner or tenant with a disability, or someone living with you is disabled, then you may be able to get help with adaptations to make your home suitable for your needs, enabling you or someone living with you to remain at home and live independently for as long as possible.

Typically works may include:

  • Bathroom adaptations
  • level access showers
  • Stairlifts
  • Ramps
  • Widening doorways and access improvements

To obtain a Disabled Facilities grant you will firstly need to arrange an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT). The procedure from hereon is as follows:

  • Make a self referral to the Occupational Therapy Service by calling Cambridgeshire Direct, Tel: 0345 045 5205.
  • Arrangements will then be made for an OT to visit your home and carry out a needs assessment.
  • The OT will then refer on his or her recommendations to the private sector housing team at Fenland District Council.
  • Your case will then be forwarded on to our partner Care and Repair Agency.
  • The agency will then contact you and will manage the whole process for you from start to finish, including:
    • Completion of your application paperwork.
    • Finding a suitable contractor.
    • Obtaining Council approvals.
    • Management of the works on site through to completion.

Please note all grants other than child cases are subject to statutory means testing.

If you would like any more information or a booklet explaining the procedures in more detail then please contact our private sector housing team on 01354 654321 or email: