Skip Navigation

New Claims - Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you:

  • receive income-based Jobseekers' Allowance;
  • receive Income Support;
  • receive Employment & Support Allowance;
  • receive Pension Credit or;
  • have a low income.

If you receive income-based Jobseekers' Allowance, Income Support or the guarantee element of Pension Credit, you will get the maximum amount of Council Tax Support ("maximum" Council Tax Support will be 86% of your Council Tax bill if you're of working age so there will always be something left to pay - but for people of state pensionable age you could still get 100%) allowable, although the income of any other adults living with may be taken into account. You can find out more about Jobseekers' Allowance, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance and Pension Credit by clicking on the "Other benefits you can claim" link at the top right side of this page..

If you do not get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance or Pension Credit, the amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on:

  • The amount of Council Tax you pay
  • how many people live with you;
  • your personal circumstances;
  • how much money you have coming in and;
  • how much you have in savings.

You cannot get Council Tax Support if:

  • You, or your partner (a partner is someone you are married to, or someone you live with as if you are married to them) are not liable to pay the Council Tax for your home.
  • You, or your partner between you, have more than £16,000 in savings (with the exception of some people who receive the guarantee element of Pension Savings Credit.

Council Tax Support may be restricted if: other people over the age of 18 live with you, as they are expected to contribute towards the payment of the Council Tax (even if they don't).

Will I Qualify

You can complete a benefit calculation which will provide you with your potential entitlement to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support based on the information that you input.   Our on-line calculator and claim form will be updated on 1 April. If after completing the benefits calculator you want to continue and make a full application, simply complete the on-line claim form that follows the benefits calculator. Alternatively, call in to one of the 'Fenland @ Your Service' shops, where staff will assist you in making an application. Or telephone us on 01354 654321 during normal office hours to speak with one of our Customer Advisors and make an application over the telephone.

It is important to consider that we will normally only award benefit from the Monday following the day we receive your claim form, either on-line, on the telephone, by post or in our 'Fenland @ Your Service' shops. SO DON'T DELAY, CLAIM TODAY!

Second Adult Rebate

You may be able to have your bill reduced, regardless of your own circumstances (including earnings and savings) because other people who live with you are on benefit or a low income. In such cases you should make a claim for Second Adult Rebate
Appeals and Complaints


If you are refused Council Tax Support and you think the decision is wrong, or you think the amount of Council Tax Support has been calculated incorrectly, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again, or you can appeal. You should do this within one month of the date the decision is notified to you.
If you are not happy with the service you have received from the Council Tax Support section, you can complain. You can do this whether or not you are also challenging the entitlement decision.

For further information please contact us

For further details regarding customer complaints contact CCCs (Comments, Compliments and Complaints). or cpmplete one of our online forms.

Other benefits

We just look after Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. There could be benefits provided by the Government that you may get, see the link at the top right of this page for more.