Skip Navigation

Housing Condition Complaint

Housing Conditions - Private Rented Accommodation

Plumbing Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

If you live in private rented accommodation and the house or flat you occupy is in disrepair or otherwise defective, unsafe or lacking facilities then you should in the first instance try to resolve by contacting your landlord. If your landlord refuses to take action then please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01354 654321.

We may need to follow up with an inspection of the property and if there are faults or omissions for which the landlord is responsible then we will take up with your landlord and if necessary issue a statutory notice requiring corrective action. Housing conditions are assessed in accordance with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).  This is in effect a risk assessment of the condition of the dwelling on the health and safety of the occupiers.  The more serious category 1 hazards trigger a requirement to take action, whereas action in respect of lesser category 2 hazards is discretionary. 

Your landlord will usually be responsible for structural repairs, fixtures and fittings and maintenance of services, gas and electrical installations.  There is a particular duty on landlords to ensure that electrical installations are safe and all gas appliances are tested annually and certified by a competent person who is on the Gas Safe Register

How to make a Housing Condition Complaint.

Letter Writing Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Before the Council can take action with your complaint we will need to be sure that you have followed the correct procedure in reporting the complaint.

For instance have you...

  • Reported your complaint to your Landlord / Agent?
  • Made your complaint in writing and kept a copy?
  • If you have reported your complaint; have you given a reasonable timescale for your Landlord / Agent to respond?

If the answer is NO to any of the above actions, then we will not be able to action your complaint at this time.

You are advised to read the terms of your Tenancy Agreement as to the Landlord's repairing obligation. The Landlord is normally responsible for structural repairs, facilities and services such as water, safety and function of gas and electrical services and installations etc. The tenant is obligated to occupy in a reasonable tenant-like manner, to pay the rent on time and not to cause damage to the property. If you, someone in your household or a guest has caused the damage that relates to your complaint you must tell your Landlord immediately.

Following the above procedure should hopefully help you resolve the matter of concern. Our aim is to assist in making your current home safe, decent and free from serious disrepair.  Please view the right of the page for some useful advice leaflets regarding common housing condition problems and links to external agencies offering advice and services. If you would like any further information please contact our Private Sector Housing Team on 01354 654321.