Skip Navigation


How we deal with dog fouling and noisy, stray or dangerous dogs.

Barking dog

Dog Fouling

You must clear up after your dog by law.

The Council introduced Public Space Protection Orders to deal with owners who do not clear up after their dogs or control their behaviour. We ask dog owners to dispose of their dog's fouling in a bin, put the dog on the lead if it is causing a nuisance and not take them into all young children's gated play areas and cemeteries. They may need to be kept on a lead in some open play areas.

If a Council Officer sees you failing to clean up after your dog you will be asked to clear it up or you can be given a fine in the form of a fixed penalty notice.You can pay £75 rather than be prosecuted. 

If you fail to pay the fixed penalty notice you will be taken to court and may face a fine of up to £1,000.


Noisy dogs

Barking dogs can legally be considered a nuisance. Find out more about how the Council can investigate noise nuisance.


Stray dogs

Report a lost or stray dog to the Council.

If you find a lost dog, check to see if it has an identity tag with a name and phone number. If it does, contact the owner and arrange for them to collect it.

If you can't find the owner, contact the Council on 01354 654321. Outside of normal working hours (9:00 - 17:15 Monday to Thursday and 9:00 - 16:45 on Friday) it may take longer to speak to someone, but please hold the line. You can also contact the council by emailing if you've lost your dog.

If you find a dog and are happy to keep it temporarily (for up to seven days) please let us know.

A stray dog can only be collected once contained. We use Ravenswood Pet Rescue (a local charity) to collect and take stray dogs to selected Kennels or Veterinary Surgeries.

All stray dogs are checked for identification (including micro-chips).

A dog is kept in kennels for seven days. It will only be returned to its owner upon payment of all fees, fines and costs incurred. This includes a £45 fine, £15 admin fee and £10 kennelling fee for each day/part day.

If the dog is unclaimed it will be made available for re-homing to the public, which will mean it could have a new legal owner. Ravenswood Pet Rescue also has a re-homing service.

Please note that the Police do not accept stray dogs from the public. However if you find a dangerous stray dog, follow the advice in the section below.

Make sure your dog is micro chipped.

By law, from the 6 April 2016 your dog must be micro chipped and your most recent contact details must be linked to that chip.

Any dog over the age of 8 weeks is legally required to be micro chipped and registered to an approved database.

When buying a dog from a breeder, it is up to the breeder to microchip the dog.  For other dogs it is up to each subsequent new owner to make sure the details on the chip have been changed and are up to date. If a dog without a microchip is found by or reported  to Fenland District Council, its keeper may be served with a notice requiring the dog to be micro chipped, and they may face criminal prosecution and a £500 fine if they do not comply with the notice.

You should contact your local vets to arrange for your dog to be micro chipped, some local organisations and animal charities also offer micro chipping programmes.

Aggressive or Dangerous dogs

Any breed or type of dog can be considered dangerous if it is not kept under control. Call 101 or contact your local police station if you think a dog is:

  • behaving aggressively;
  • not being kept under control;
  • a danger to the public and road users; or
  • worrying livestock;

In an emergency or in cases where someone is in immediate danger, call 999.

Dead animals

If you find a dead animal on public property or a public highway, contact us and we will arrange for its collection free of charge. We cannot collect dead animals from private properties. You can contact us by emailing or by calling 01354 654321.

Unfortunately, we cannot help with injured animals. If you find an animal that is injured, we recommend that you contact the owner (if the animal is wearing an identity tag).