Skip Navigation
Navigation Menu

Repair work restarts at Constantine House

Work started again this morning [Monday November 30] on Constantine House in Wisbech - just two days before the owners were due in court over their failure to comply with a Section 215 Notice ordering them to complete the necessary repairs by October 26.

Wisbech

The owners have said that work should be finished by Christmas. As a result, Fenland District Council has agreed that the case be adjourned for four weeks.

Welcoming the move, Councillor David Oliver, the council's Cabinet member responsible for dilapidated buildings and enforcement, said: "This is good news, coming as it does after many months of inactivity on the site.

"When we announced earlier this month that we were going ahead with our prosecution, we said that we still hoped the owners would comply with the order before the matter went to court.

"Now they are finally taking steps to do that. They have confirmed that funds are in place to complete the remedial works required by the Section 215 Notice and that those works should be finished by Christmas.

"Our enforcement team was on site this morning to check that work had indeed started and we will obviously be continuing to monitor the situation closely."

The case is still scheduled to be heard at King's Lynn Magistrates Court on Wednesday [December 2]. However, Fenland District Council has today [November 30]  written to the court agreeing for it to be adjourned for four weeks to give the owners time to complete the works and for the council to do the necessary inspections.

The contractors started work today (November 30) on the works required by the Section 215 Notice. These include installing windows missing from the front of the building and the re-roofing of the building's rear section.

Article added November 30, 2015