Skip Navigation

About the new Garden Waste service

Information about our new service and what it means for you.


We introduced our chargeable garden waste collection service on April 3, 2017.  This means we are now only emptying brown bins from households that have subscribed to our service.

Each brown bin subscription costs £40 which covers collections until March 2018. Our pdf icon Terms and Conditions [1Mb] and pdf icon Frequently Asked Questions [2Mb] provide a full explanation of the new service. 

You do not have to sign up to our service, but this means we will no longer collect your brown bin.  More information about opting out of the service.


Each subscription costs £40. You can subscribe and pay the subscription charge by:

You can have more than one brown bin collected from your property. Each bin is subject to an annual subscription charge. If you need more brown bins delivered to your property, you will need to pay a delivery fee of £30 per bin. 

Once you have subscribed

When we receive your payment, we will send you a confirmation letter and unique addressed sticker within 10 working days. 

The sticker needs to be placed on the rear of your brown bin. If you subscribe to more than one bin you will receive a sticker for each bin.  A new sticker will be sent to you every year once you have paid your subscription.

Once you have subscribed, your garden waste will be collected once every two weeks throughout the year. Changes to collection days will happen due to bank holidays and Christmas. 

Please place your bin out before 7am on collection day. The handle needs to face the road and your subscription sticker clearly visible. 

It is also possible that your usual brown bin collection day will change. We will let you know if this will change at your property. 

If you don't already have a bin

You can still sign up and pay for the service at any time. Once you've paid, we will arrange for the delivery of a brown bin. Please note that the usual Council delivery charge of £30 will apply to all new bins. You cannot buy your own bin instead of a Fenland District Council one as we cannot service bins that do not meet our specification. 

A small number of customers in certain locations will be offered the service using paper sacks, rather than bins. This is because usual refuse vehicles cannot access their property or they haven't got a suitable storage area for the bin. If this applies to your property, we will contact you directly with more information. 

Discounts, exemptions and refunds

There are no discounts or exemptions, even if you sign up part way through the year.

We cannot offer a discount or refund if you decide not to use the service for a while or move out of area. You can transfer your subscription however if you have already paid and are moving house within Fenland. 

If you have a small garden, you could always consider sharing a bin with a neighbour. One household would need to be responsible for the subscription and the bin.

Direct Debit Payments

If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit payment, Fenland District Council will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited (as per your Direct Debit Guarantee).

Moving house

If you are moving house in Fenland, you can transfer your existing garden waste subscription to your new property. Tell us you are moving house.

What to put in your brown bin from April 2017

Our brown bin service is now for garden waste only. This includes:

  • Garden weeds
  • Hedge trimmings
  • Small twigs and branches (less than 2.5cm/1" diameter)
  • Grass cuttings
  • Flowers, plants and waste from your vegetable patch
  • Leaves

Garden waste must be put in the bin loose, without bags. It must all fit in the bin, with the lid closed. Any waste left outside your bin will not be collected (with the exception of real Christmas trees in season). If you have too much waste you can take it to a local Household Recycling Centre.

Any bin containing material other than garden waste will not be emptied. Please do not put in the following:

  • Plastic bags or bin bags
  • Cardboard and paper
  • Flower pots and trays
  • Cooked food waste (this now needs to go into your green bin or home composter)
  • Soil
  • Stones or rubble
  • Branches or logs (larger than 2.5cm/1" diameter)
  • Other household rubbish

Our new service is for garden waste only. This is because legislation only allows a charge for garden waste. Food waste now needs to be placed in your green bin or your home composter.

Lost, stolen or damaged bins

You are responsible for the security of your bin. We will not empty the bin if it is moved to another property and cannot replace lost or stolen bins. 

If our collection crew record that they have damaged your bin (or it falls into the rear of the vehicle), we will repair or replace it free of charge. If our collection crew are not responsible you will need to pay the usual delivery charge of £30 for your bin to be replaced.